Tuesday, May 03, 2005

China 36: Vacationing and Pictures

Weird Food: i'm at a loss
Weather: Brilliant, 80's, dry, beautiful, and i'm in here trying to do my paper. Aiya!

So it's the May 1st holiday, and all of China has a week off which is nice. Especially that my family isn't going anywhere besides the mountains we went to yesterday. So me and Ian are pretty much the only people around in Xi'an which is fine. I kind of wanted some time to just chill. Unfortunately my paper looms overhead. I haven't even finished the first draft which might end up being 15 pages single spaced.

The other problem is, my host mom finds it necessary to fill anytime I'm not doing homework with plans since she too has the week off. I'd much rather go out w/ Ian and walk around, but MaMa has other thoughts. Today, she took me to stand in the back of a Buddhist temple for two hours while the monks chanted. It would've been cool, but she's so disruptive it embarrasses me. Then she took me to eat with the monks in their eating area which also would've been cool but it was pretty obvious that only monks ate there b/c we were the only people in civilian clothing inside the room and all the other people ate outside of it. And it's not even that my mom is a devout Buddhist she told me she doesn't go very often. But I digress.

When it comes to choosing to do HW or going out with her I've actually taking a liking to HW. My dad is much cooler about it all. He just chills and sometimes goes out to eat w/ me. Maybe I'm just too much of an introvert.

Anyway, it's beautiful out, and my family finally fixed their internet so I don't have to go to the internet cafe anymore which actually was kind of nice b/c it was an excuse to get out of the house on my own. But I've finally managed to upload some pics of my recent trip to Hong Kong and to Sichuan w/ the group (and somewhere along the way I recieved a big scholarship to a college and made a tough decision about where I'm going next year):

Alright, I just tried posting the pics and of course it's not working. So if you wanna see some of my pics you can try this site which probably won't work. http://photobucket.com/albums/v631/celtics186/

here are some of Christina's pics:









1 Comments:

At May 3, 2005 at 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Food, Buddhism, Special favor, Honorable guest,at minimum is a gesture of caring. Pushing a little too much or not receiving an expected exaggerated response can be a source of tension for everyone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Number of Hits